B2C Annuity Website and Portal

The Goal
Create a modern, user friendly, and responsive website that would educate the public about the annuity offerings and help policy holders access and understand their account information.

The Problem

Not many leads were being generated from the consumer website. In addition, the website and portal were outdated and hard to use.

The Team

  • Project Manager
  • UX Manager
  • UX Designer
  • Creative Director
  • Visual Designer

The Tools

  • Visio
  • Sketch
  • Invision
  • Zeplin
  • Aha!
  • Usertesting.com

The Discovery
The research phase was conducted carefully and thoroughly. Workshopping with the stakeholders, we looked at competitor websites compared with their website to determine what they liked and didn’t like, what worked and what didn’t. Following that, we were able to write a business requirements document, analyze their information architecture and propose a new sitemap which would inform the navigation piece across both the website and portal.

The Process
The navigation piece was particularly important because getting it right meant that consumers would be able to easily navigate the website and policy holders would have easy access to their account information – one of the main goals of the project. For that reason, we went through many iterations of this part of the project, before moving on to wireframes of the pages. The content was carefully considered as it was put into wireframes for relevancy and hierarchy. This was achieved by designing in a mobile-first approach.

By understanding the types of content we needed to use through a content audit, we were able to design on a pattern or component level, which allowed for the creation of reusable elements that could be combined in a multitude of ways to create templates. This greatly aided in an efficient handover to the client’s development team at the completion of the project and allowed the client to scale the project as needed once we handed over the work.

The Final Outcome
Once the wireframes had been signed off, they were given to the visual designer to skin. A few weeks later, I was able to take the final visual designs to create a prototype in Invision to conduct an unmoderated usability test with. After writing a test plan, in which we outlined the goal of the usability study, the criteria for the users, the tasks they would complete, and the post-test questions, we built the study in Usertesting.com and ran it. We ended up with a total of 11 usable studies out of 12 participants, and received a lot of valuable feedback. Presenting those insights back to client, we were able to decide which changes to the design should be implemented – they all ended up being minor but important tweaks that greatly enhanced the experience. Overall, a really great outcome!

This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!

Please upgrade today!